Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wedensday [thru the eyes of thursday]

March 20, 2008 (the first day of spring.)

The days are already slipping away. The second evening I was here Tim and I went out in search of the container store in order to find an island for his kitchen. We ended up walking too far and when we turned ourselves back around, our hungry stomachs got the best of us and we stopped for dinner at one of seven of SanFrancisco’s breweries, the Thirstybear Brewing Company. I had some pretty amazing pesto paella. Since we missed closing time of the container store, we came back to the apartment and played Rock Band on the Xbox.

Yesterday morning I woke up and it was cold and cloudy. And I didn’t feel very good – all tired and sore and crampy. I had to fight myself to get out of bed, to leave the apartment, to leave the neighborhood I’ve already become familiar with. I got on the Muni, half streetcar half subway type thing, in search of the Haight-Ashbury district. This is where the whole hippie thing happened in SanFrancisco in the 60s. Now there a few old hippies left, some new hippies, some bums, some tourists, and lots of sweet shops. I was enchanted. I completely lost myself in a couple of the second hand clothing stores. I bought some shirts and some high top Chuck’s. I found an art store and stocked up on some paints and a few canvases. I’ve been dying to be dying to make some art. And I’m dying to make some art.
I had lunch at a place called the People’s Café. I had a deliciously amazing vegan sandwich, with hummus and sprouts, lettuce, tomato, and onion. I wandered around for hours. I made it down to the very eastern end of Golden Gate Park. To walk around there would have to be another whole day, but I sat on the edge near a pond and rested and smiled even though I was surrounded by homeless men. I put on my new shoes. I sat in a coffee café and read a book I had picked up earlier in the day. I got back on the Muni and met Tim downtown. We went to the container store for real and got his kitchen stuff and a thousand hangers so we could stop tripping over the mountain of clothes in the middle of the living room floor. We assembled and arranged and put things away. We got things looking halfway decent and then decided it was definitely time for dinner. We took the real old fashioned streetcar (but not the trolley) out to Fisherman’s Warf. I finally saw the ocean but not really because of the darkness. I’ll go down there again. We had dinner at the Boudin Sourdough Factory. I filled my empty belly with massive amounts of bread.

My body finally got on California time and let me sleep in today. I’m planning to take it really easy today. I need to rest my body from walking, at least for this morning. I went to the shop next door for my coffee. I’ve opened the windows, the sun is shining, and I am going to make art.

No comments: