Friday, March 21, 2008

Friday [a good one.]

March 21, 2008

Yesterday was lovely. Art. Rest. Internet at the café. A new sweater. German beer hall.

Weekends are for tourists. Which I suppose means I fit right in here today, but I felt like I’ve almost been here long enough to be annoyed at the masses of people flocking the streets, clicking cameras, a different language heard chattering from each passerby.

Tim didn’t have to go to work today. Which meant I included him in my plans to bike across the Golden Gate Bridge. He was skeptical at first, a little concerned that it might be too cold or too windy or too touristy. I told him I was doing it and he could come along if he wanted to. It turned out to be a perfect day, I took off my sweater and the sun may have even made my skin a tiny bit pink. We rented bicycles at Fisherman’s Warf. I opted for the helmet and the three dollar insurance, just in case the wind blew me off the bridge. The precautions proved unnecessary. The trip started with a pretty intense hill. I realized I should’ve been training for this all winter. I made the first hill and went ahead and swallowed my pride on a few others and walked my bike. The ride across the bridge itself was easy other than tourist dodging. I didn’t run any of them over and made it safely to the other side. Once across, we flew down a huge hillside into Sausalito, which was a quaint little town that reminded me a lot of Saugatuck. (Quite a bit actually, especially once figuring in the gay population.) I found a deliciously vegan sandwich for lunch and we walked around and enjoyed the sunshine. We then hopped on a ferry and rode on the very top all the way back to Fisherman’s Warf. We returned the bikes and I wished I had saved my three dollars for something better than bicycle insurance. Since we had blended in with the tourists so well all day, we thought we may as well take the trolley car back to the other side of the city. We felt a little ridiculous and not unlike we were at Disney waiting in the long line for a ride. I could think of nothing I could ever want more than soy ice cream and a nap but the ride was enjoyed nonetheless. I even found some soy ice cream before we trekked back to the apartment.

Tomorrow we escape the city and drive to Napa Valley. Wine country. Which is my kind of country.

No comments: